Each Sunday my sister
Ashlie and I co-write a blog post about our favorite things called Sister Sister Sunday. Sister Sister Sunday is a great way for us to keep in touch every week and stay connected. Each week our theme changes so make sure to visit us every Sunday to check out what we are into next!
World’s collided this weekend when I was home visiting my family. My sister Ashlie and I don’t get to see each other very often but when we do we always manage to have an adventure. This time around, my sister decided it would be a great idea to have a garage sale because I would be around to help her decide what junk to get rid of and how to price the items. It was a fun day and we were able to get rid of a lot of clutter that she didn’t need anymore (this always makes me happy). The sale started at 8am (we had a customer in the driveway waiting at 7am) and we closed up shop at 6pm.
This week for Sister Sister, we decided to feature our favorite moments from the garage sale. Instead of the usual suspects (Ashlie & I) being the stars of the show, 2 sisters stole the limelight….Audrey and Lilly! They had so much fun greeting the customers and playing with the merchandise, by bedtime they were exhausted.
The night before the sale Nonnie (our mom) and Ashlie
were setting up shop. Lilly somehow managed to climb
into this hutch for sale and got stuck, good thing it sold
right away so it didn’t happen again!
It was really windy the day of the sale and this sign must
have blown over 20 times. By the end of the day
is was a wrinkled mess. It was driving us crazy!
Priceless! Audrey decided to put price tags on her
little cheeks so she could be apart of the sale, silly girl!
Audrey and Ashlie took over the cash register, double trouble!
Cocktail Time! At 4 o’clock we decided we needed
to have happy hour, Ashlie made watermelon margaritas, yum!
Sister Sister Photo Shoot…
I decided to have a style show with the girls to model
all of our deals for the customers. Audrey and Lilly were perfect
models sporting vests and jackets with accessories to match!
Seriously, how could you not buy this hat!
Work it… own it!
Ashlie and I haven’t had a garage sale in over 5 years and we learned a lot this time around. Here are a few tips and tricks for having a successful garage sale. If you have any tips you would like to share we would love it! Please share them by leaving a comment.
Garage Sale Tips
- Grab an empty clothes basket and take into each room into your house. Try to fill the basket with unnecessary clutter, then sort the into categories in your garage. Examples…dishware, holiday, clothing, electronics, media, kitchen, furniture, sporting goods, etc..
- Price to sell! Your goal is to move the merchandise not make a million. If you are having a sale with multiple people color code your price tags using stickers.
- Spread the word! Please an ad in your local newspaper and have it run a couple days before your sale. Place another ad on Craigslist, it’s free! Another advantage to Craigslist is that you can ad pictures to your ad to create extra buzz.
- Set up your tables one to two nights ahead of time. If you don’t have tables borrow them from a great friend, thanks Dawn!
- Don’t forget a cash box with lots of change, $50 in dollar bills and a roll of quarters is a great start.
- The morning of the sale place signs around the neighborhood and pull the tables and high ticket items out of the garage so they can easily be seen from the road.
- During the sale move merchandise around so your sale always looks full.
- Have a cocktail hour!
- Be ready to deal! If you have items that aren’t selling and someone shows interest try to move it out by offering sale prices or buy one get one free deals. Remember, the goal is the move the items so they don’t have to be stored for another year.
Now let’s party! Please link up to our Sister Sister party. Show us what your favorites things are right now and inspire us for next week. We are always looking for new favorite recipes, clothing, cosmetics, DIY projects and much much more. We will feature our favorite next week! Please take our button to spread the word about Sister Sister Sunday.