Dear Kuzak’s Closet,
I just went and bought amazing velvet hangers, and now I love my newly organized closet – thanks to your inspiring post! My collection of clothes is really small right now…..
I have a question for you – After the birth of my son, my body has really changed shape. Most of my old clothes absolutely do not fit. I was extremely motivated to lose the baby weight, and did plus an extra 15 pounds, making my total loss at 60 lbs!! So, needless to say, not too many of my pre-baby clothes fit me anymore. I have a two part question. I had some really nice pieces, and am having a hard time deciding what to do with them. I don’t want to donate or sell them, because what if I get back to that size again. Pre-baby I was a size 8, post-baby I’m a size 4. I don’t want to hold onto clothes hoping I’ll double my size again sometime soon, but I can’t hardly stand to discard an entire wardrobe. What do I do? Hold on to them in rubber made tubs, thinking someday I might be a size 8 again? Second part of my question – when you’re starting essentially all over – what are your recommended staple pieces for a wardrobe? I’m on a budget, but need some staple pieces in my new size. I’m a stay-at-home mom, and don’t want to look like a slob in my big, old clothes! Thanks a lot!
Swimming in a sea of baggy clothes,
Thank you so much for writing in, you present a dilemma that so many of us struggle with. Weather we loose or gain weight, it is hard to get rid of our favorite pieces. My advice to all of my friends and clients is to only have clothes in your current wardrobe that fit. That being said, I do think it is okay to store special items and classic pieces that you might fit into again but keep it minimal. In your situation you may or may not fit into the size 8 items again so if I were you I could hang on to only classic pieces that will be timeless like the perfect dress, jeans, dress pants, cashmere sweaters, etc.. Shrink the clothes you want to keep in vacuum bags, label them, and store them in a tub (I would try to limit yourself to 1 large tub).
There are many guides out there that will give you a list of items that are essential in your wardrobe, my list is based on them but a little more tailored to your needs as a young mom. You need to invest in pieces that are versitile, that can easily coordinate with other items in your wardrobe, and will stay classic and timeless. Here is my list, after you have these pieces you can add lo-cost trendy items to go with them.
- Crisp white shirt
- You can wear this with jeans and the sleeves rolled up, with black slacks and a trendy necklace, or with a business suit.
- Black slacks
- Look for something that is mid-rise and boot cut, avoid embellished pants.
- Wool coat: navy, gray, or black
- I prefer gray because it coordinates with both browns and blacks.
- Nude heels
- Nude heels will make you look leaner and longer, you can wear them with dress pants, denim, dresses, or skirts.
- Black flats
- You will find yourself wearing these all of the time, especially when you travel. Look for a good quality leather.
- Flat chocolate boots
- These are great with a trendy pair of skinny jeans or leggings, dresses, and skirts. You will wear them all fall, winter, and spring.
- Navy/black cardigan
- Splurge on one that is dry-clean only and one that is washable!
- White/gray/black tank tops and t-shirts
- These basics can be layered or alone.
- Fun jacket with a classic shape and fun color/pattern
- Pick a jacket with a cute pattern or color, it will add a punch during the winter months.
- High quality fleece
- Sometimes you just want to wear a fleece and jeans to the store, invest in something that is windproof and warm.
- Cashmere sweaters, in black and a fun flattering color like pink, purple, blue
- In January all of the cashmere sweaters go on sale, pick up a few in fun flattering colors.
- Little black dress
- This is a must have, look for something that can be worn to a wedding, cocktails, or party.
- Sassy top to wear out for cocktails or under sweaters
- I love a fun printed or sequin top, I have a pink sequin top that I can wear under a blazer or alone and I love it.
- Trendy piece like a peasant blouse
- Anthropologie is a great place to splurge on a trendy item from time to time, pick something that you are drawn to like a peasant blouse, sweater coat, or tunic.
- Dark boot wash jeans
- These are a must, I love Ann Taylor Jeans and Citizen for Humanity
- Boyfriend jeans
- As a busy mom you will wear these all of the time! You an dress them up or down and they will look great.
Thanks again for writing in, I hope all of this advice helps you decide what you hang on to from your old wardrobe and what to purchase for your new one. If you have a question for Kuzak’s Closet please send me an email.