Hi Kuzak’s Closet readers! I’m so excited to be here for Tailgate Week! I’m Sara and I write the creative lifestyle site, Mom Endeavors. I’m married to my college sweetheart and we have 3 little boys (ages 5, 2, and newborn). We also happen to be HUGE college football fans, particularly of the Nebraska Cornhuskers!
Our household loves the Huskers and college football in general so much that every fall Saturday on the blog I do a football related post and host the College Football Saturday Tailgate link party! In fact, that is how I discovered Amanda’s lovely site here. She linked up one of her fun Stanford posts to the party! So, I’m thrilled to be here for touchdown week sharing in the football fun! Some are surprised that I’m such a big College Football fan. So, here’s a bit of the story: I actually attended the University of Nebraska as an out-of-state student and met my husband there. Throughout college, I never missed a home football game, but my experience is different than most as I was a member of the Cornhusker Marching Band all 4 years of college!
I marched clarinet my freshman year and then was a member of the Nebraska Drumline the rest of the time (as part of the pit percussion section). And, boy was it fun! I was there when the football team was really good. It wasn’t quite the glory days of the 90′s when Nebraska won 3 National Championship, but, we did go to a bowl game every year, the likes of the Fiesta Bowl and the “grandaddy of ‘em all”, the Rose Bowl. Marching in the Rose Bowl parade and performing at the National Championship game (even though we lost) is something I’ll never forget! Since college, we’ve been back for a game almost every year (we don’t live in Nebraska now). And, one of those years, I did the alumni band game where the University welcomes back former band members to not only enjoy the game, but perform! So fun!
Given that I was in the band, I didn’t get to experience pregame tailgating. Even since college, pregame festivities are usually all about the band for me, but last year we got the chance to go into the special tailgate area. Talk about great fun and good food!
One family favorite recipe that screams football tailgating are “Beer Brats“. They’re easy to make and are super tasty!!!
- Brats (for a big grilling cook-out we usually do a package of 10–12 brats)
- Beer of your choice (we did two cans for 12 brats)
- Onion (1/2 to one whole large onion cut into approx. 1/4″ slices, depending on how much onion flavor you like)
- Water (enough to cover the brats in the pot after the beer is added. For us, that was about 3 to 4 cups)
- Place brats in a large pot. Add onions & beer. Then add enough water to just cover the brats.
- Bring to a boil. Then, simmer for 15–20 minutes–basically until brats start changing color, but aren’t quite fully cooked. Then, transfer to the grill.
- Grill over medium heat for 3–5 minutes per side, or until browned to perfection!
Hope you enjoy! For more football fun recipes & treats (like football oreo pops), please come by the blog every Saturday in the fall & join us for the Football Tailgate Party! And, if you’re a fellow Husker fan (Go Big Red!), you’ll probably particularly enjoy this roundup of Husker-inspired crafts & treats. Please stop by & say hi! Thanks for having me today! It was great to be here chatting all things football!