It is so important to keep your bedroom simple and uncluttered, it will help your mind unwind and recharge each day. Due to the size and limited storage in my client’s home, her bedroom had become a storage space for all of her holiday decor, memorabilia, and miscellaneous household items and it was causing her stress and worry.
Before I could create a system for her to store things we needed to sort through all of the piles and declutter the room. After a few sessions and truckloads to goodwill, we were able to take off a few layers. Her closet has 3 sliding doors so I divided it based on the things she loves and needed to keep and store. Her holiday decorations are stored behind the left sliding door in tubs, her shoes and clothing are behind the middle door, and her personal memorabilia and luggage is behind the far right side. As she continues to declutter and maintain the space over time she will have less and less to store and hopefully more manageable space. For now everything has a home and she can relax in her clean and decluttered space.
Keep your bedroom organized and peaceful with my favorite tips:
- Make your bed everyday! Doing this will give you a sense of accomplishment first thing in the morning and help your room look organized and put together.
- Don’t store anything under your bed, it tends to be a dumping zone and what is out of sight is out of mind
- Letting your clean clothes pile up on a chair or dresser is not a good idea! Put them away at the end of each laundry day, if you need encouragement I suggest sorting them on your bed when they come out of the dryer so you have to put them away before you go to sleep.
- Utilize a dirty clothes hamper! So many of my clients let their dirty clothes pile up on the bottom of their closet or on the floor and it drives me nuts! Having a laundry basket or a hamper will make it easier to transport things to the laundry room and remind you when it is time to do a load because the basket will be full.
- Don’t store things in your bedroom that don’t belong! Utilize storage space in your basement, garage, or bedroom if you have it to store athletic equipment, home and holiday decor, and paperwork, etc..
If you or someone you know needs to get organized please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.