I love making soup! It is so comforting and makes the perfect light dinner. I usually make a double or triple batch and freeze some of it for easy meals down the road. Recently I tried this recipe for white chicken chili using rotisserie chicken, one of my favorite ingredients. I like to pick them up at the cafe inside Calafia in Palo Alto but you can find them almost anywhere.
The recipe is based on this recipe from Southern Living, I made a few changes because I had trouble finding a white chili seasoning packet. Enjoy!
- ½ large sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 14 oz chicken broth
- 2 (4.5-oz.) cans chopped green chiles
- 3 (16-oz.) cans cannellini beans
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Optional Toppings: Avocado, sour cream, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, fresh cilantro leaves
- Sauté onion and garlic in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Stir in chicken, beans, chiles, and seasoning (do not rinse the beans or the chiles). Bring to a boil, stirring often; cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- Serve with optional toppings.