I spent countless nights with my Alma College pals at the Braveheart Pub sipping on beers and snacking on fried pickles. Let’s be honest, back then I could get away with it because I spent all of my free time on the treadmill in the rec center. Now that I am 31, almost 32 (yikes) I just can’t keep up and no matter how much exercise I get during the day my metabolism just doesn’t want to cooperate.
This recipe for oven-fried pickles or faux fried pickles as I call them…sparked my interest when I spotted them in blogland. I really didn’t think they would be able to compete with the full fat version from my college days but I thought they would be worth the try.
- 2 -16 oz jars (48 slices) sliced oval dill hamburger pickles, I used Vlasic
- 1/2 cup of Panko crumbs
- 1/4 cup of cornmeal
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 1/4 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/4 cup dried parsley
- 1/8th tsp kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- olive oil spray (about 1 tsp)
- Mix crumbs and flour together along with paprika, parsley, and half the chipotle powder and salt.
- Whisk eggs and egg whites in a bowl and season with remaining chipotle powder.
- Dip pickles in egg mixture and then into the crumb mix, pressing down on the crumbs.
- Heat oven to 450°F along with 1-2 baking sheets (depending on how many pickles you are making). When the oven reaches 450°, remove baking sheets and spray with olive oil spray; place pickles on the baking sheets and spray the tops of the pickles with the more oil. Bake 10 minutes, turn and spray if needed and cook an additional 8-10 minutes. Remove pickles from cooking sheet and serve hot with light ranch dressing.
I was shocked at the how they crisped up in the oven. The crunch of the panko and the heat from the blend of spices hit the spot. I’ve made them a few times over the last few weeks and I just can’t get enough. If you’ve never had a fried pickle you haven’t lived!
Have a great weekend! If you are local make sure to stop by my estate sale in Sunnyvale today and tomorrow. Also be sure to enjoy the Superbowl, if you are looking for a special appetizer these pickles are a guaranteed hit!