Last week I had a long day and I had no idea what I was going to make for dinner. I was watching the Food Network and the Pioneer Woman came on and said she was making pantry pasta. Instantly my dinner dilemma was solved, I took her advice and pulled basic items from my pantry to make a really yummy dinner. I had shallots to use up, garlic, pasta, olives, tomatoes, pesto, and pine nuts so I decided to make a mediterranean pasta. The sauce was similar to a bolognese, the olives were meaty and salty.
Here is a look at the ingredients. For the last year I have swapped out regular pasta for quinoa pasta because it has protein and it is gluten free. I would normally saute an onion for the recipe but I didn’t have one on hand so I swapped it for 2 shallots, just as good.
I toasted the pine nuts on medium heat for a few minutes before I threw them in the sauce. If you can’t find them you can leave them out but they really do add flavor.
Did you notice my new kitchen table in the picture? I bought it at an estate sale recently, I love the color and it fits perfectly in the space. I bought new chairs at World Market, my favorite place, ha! It is much bigger than the table that has been there for the last 2 years so we are really enjoying it. The only thing we aren’t enjoying is the wall paper, isn’t it horrible! I need to get the courage to ask our landlord if I can take it down and paint.
Okay, here is the recipe. Give it a try and let it motivate you to keep your pantry stocked and organized so you can throw together a great meal in a pinch.
- 1/2 diced red onion or shallots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- One large can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/3 cup assorted olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 box of cooked pasta
- 2 to 3 tablespoons jarred pesto (I love it so I used 3)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbed
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- Add the onions into a skillet with the olive oil over medium heat.
- Saute for a few minutes, and then add the tomatoes, olives, and garlic. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Stir and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in the pesto, feta, and pine nuts.
- Serve over pasta, garnish with a sprinkle of feta.