Ahhhh…..there is nothing better than a Saturday spent loading up on goodies at the farmer’s market and enjoying a full day of college football on the couch. That is exactly what my day is going to look like today and I couldn’t be more excited!
On fall days like today I like to make something easy comfort food that we can snack on all day long like sloppy joes, soup, mac and cheese, chili, and casseroles. This recipe for Tuscan bean soup is so easy, the sauteed spinach on top really adds a punch of flavor. I serve it with warm bread and chive butter.
I hope all of your teams win today! Don’t forget that I am hosting “Touchdown Week” starting September 19th, if you are interested in sharing your tailgating traditions and a recipe send me an email.
- 1 cup packaged peeled baby carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 table spoons onion chopped
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 15-oz. cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 32-oz. box reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 to 3 tsp. dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1 5-oz. pkg. baby spinach
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- In 4-quart Dutch oven cook and stir carrots and onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Add beans, broth, and seasoning. Bring to boiling; slightly mash beans. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add spinach; toss with tongs 1 to 2 minutes, just until wilted. Remove from heat. Ladle soup; top with spinach, sprinkle with pepper. Serve with cracker bread. Makes 4 servings.