I’ve been working on our master bedroom update for the last few weeks. The whole project started because of an antique door at the Kuzak’s Closet demolition sale last month in Palo Alto. My assistant Al and I were brainstorming DIY (do it yourself) ideas of what we could do with the doors and I suggested that I could make a bed out of one. The measurements were perfect for the king size bed that I’ve had on my wish list so I committed. Of course I couldn’t decide which door to use to I brought 4 home with me, I guess it’s the perk of my job (old houses, big trucks, strong helpers!).
I knew buying that mattress would be the easy part so I started with the bedding. What good is a new mattress going to do me if I can’t find bedding that I like! I dragged Chris along with me to HomeGoods on a Saturday night and we looked for inspiration. You’d be surprised at Chris, he is quite the shopper. While I was in the bedding section he rolled up with a cart full of lamps, Halloween decor, and a deer head for the wall. We did buy the deer head, who knows where we’ll put it but I didn’t want to squash his creativity.
Ok, back to the bedding. I was cruising the sheet section when I stumbled upon a package of Serena & Lily sheets for a Cal-King. I couldn’t believe my eyes, I love that magazine but all of the linens are WAY out of my price range. Typically a set of king sheets from this company would be $600+ so when I was the HomeGoods discount price of $99 I decided to put them in the cart. I figured if they were meant to be I would find the perfect comforter to go with them.
We didn’t find matching bedding at HomeGoods so we ventured across the street to Target to take a peek. (whomever put Target and HomeGoods in walking distance is a genius) I really wanted to find bargain bedding this time around. Last time I bought bedding I went to Restoration Hardware and spent a small fortune and I didn’t feel like it was worth it.
Target had new bedding in their Nate Berkus collection and that is when the magic happened! His new orange comforter set matched the Serena & Lily sheets perfectly! I knew Nate wouldn’t lead us astray with a bad pattern or design and Chris agreed that is was perfect for our room. Score!
Once the bedding challenge was solved we went to Sleep Train to shop for a mattress. What a fabulous store! The sales person helped us find just what we were looking for, something not to firm but not too soft. We ended up with a Sealy Posturpedic hybrid mattress (typical Californians!), it’s part memory foam and part coil. The best part is that they delivered it to us that day! I thought I died and went to heaven!
Now that we had a bed and sheets I decided to go ahead and tackle the door. I started by removing all of the hardware and I used putty to fill in any of the holes. Don’t you just love the old knobs? Then I went to the hardware to buy a few supplies, finishing nails, crown molding, and something to help me mount it to the wall.
Once I had everything I needed I asked my friend Billy to bring over his saw and help me cut the door down to size. It was originally 79 inches long but I wanted it to be 72 inches, same as my mattress. We cut 2 inches off the top and 5 inches off the bottom to make it even. I also had them cut the crown molding for me. I really wanted to use the saw myself but I knew with my left-handed ways I would end up cutting my fingers off.
I love Billy (on the left), he has worked with me for the last 3 years and I don’t know what I would do without him and his crew! They are the sweetest, smartest guys and they always show up, no matter how crazy the job seems!
Once everything was cut I attached the crown molding to the door with finishing nails. They have a little dip one the top making them easy to cover with putty. Once they are attached you’d never know it.
Next I sanded the door, primed it and painted it with 2 coats of Martha Stewart’s gray squirrel, the same color that I used for the coffee table I fixed up last year. It is the perfect mix of beige and gray which is what I am going for in our master bedroom. Once the paint was dry it looked nice but it needed more character so I got my sander out and went wild. I love having an electric sander, it really is magical!
It took off more paint than I wanted at first but I just went with it. I was able to get down to the original dark wood in spots with lots of elbow grease, there must be 50 coats of paint under everything!
Now you are probably wondering how I hung it up. Well, I wanted some kind of mounting system that would let me easily remove the headboard if I wanted to. You know, just in case we move again or if I want to paint it a different color. Plus I didn’t want to damage the walls by drilling the door directly into the wall because this is a rental.
I found this wall brackets by OOK that are made for heavy artwork. I bought two so I could have one on each end of the door for extra support.
All you have to do is find the stud and level them off. I used a drill to attach them to the wall. The process was pretty simple, just some smart measuring and mental math! There was a code on the back of the package that we used for directions, we took a picture of the code with our phones and it gave us a video to watch, pretty jazzy!
The result is just what I wanted! The headboard has so much charm and character, you’d never know it was made out of an old door! It was also much more affordable than buying a cal-king size headboard from the store, it only cost me a whopping $24 to make plus $25 for the wall mounts. Not! Too! Shabby!
Now that the bed is complete I just have a few more projects to work on before I can reveal the whole room. The big challenge will be finding nightstands, wish me luck!