As I revealed in last week’s She Cave project reveal, the only time that I buy things from my estate sales is when they don’t sell. This vintage glider was a popular set at a sale I had in Los Altos Hills earlier this year but at the end of the sale is was unsold. I think buyers struggled with the same thing that I did, how will find new cushions to fit it? I suggested that buyers made a pattern based on the existing cushions but they were so crusty I don’t think anyone wanted to bother taking them home.
Do you see what I mean? Crusty! In fact the whole set was pretty crusty! Can you believe the deer hide in the picture sold at the sale but the glider set didn’t? It’s crazy to see what sells and what doesn’t.
At the end of the sale my husband Chris actually talked me into buying the set. He really liked the chairs that matched it and promised to help me fix it up. I think he secretly likes helping me with my DIY projects, ha! We started by bringing the set home and cleaning it up. It was pretty rusty so we used a hard bristle brush (just like we did on our picnic table from last summer) to scrub it and get all of the rust and dirt flakes off.
The thought of making my own cushions crossed my mind but 5 minutes later I was online searching for something that might fit. I knew the key was finding a cushion that would be long enough for the seat of the glider. It is 66 inches wide and the standard bench cushion is 42 inches these days.
I was able to find a cushion that was 62 inches long on overstock so I ordered it to see if it might work, their shipping is so cheap I figured I wasn’t out much. Because of the curved back to the glider it ended up fitting perfectly. It only came in a few colors so I ordered it in Navy and found accent cushions to match. I wanted something a little more neutral but Chris wanted a bright pattern, he said he wanted it to scream summer in our backyard. He is such a hoot. I decided to take a gamble with the bird print called “Ash Hill” on Overstock. They have a huge variety of products with this pattern so ordered away!
Once all of the cushions arrived in the mail and I decided they fit the glider I had to pick a paint color for the glider set. I could pretty much pick any color because of the variety the cushions offered but I chose a dark navy blue spray paint from Rustoleum (the same color I used for the headboard in our guest room). I wanted the glider to blend in with the cushions and a dark color that would cover up the rust. It’s amazing how different the set looks now isn’t it!
The set has 2 chairs that match the gliders. They are really comfortable and have a little bounce to them. Now all I need is an outdoor table, hopefully I can find one to fix up soon.
Chris hard at work!
I’m glad we saved another vintage treasure from the dump! This just shows you that if you can look beyond the current state of a piece of furniture you can transform it into something beautiful!